Monday 29 April 2024

Exhibition After Browning's 'My Last Duchess'

 

The Exhibition

After Browning’s ‘My Last Duchess’

I fashioned this exhibit from a black

I found in York. He’d guessed he was held back

by light-skinned guys, resentful of his skill.

He showed my indignation – how it will

burst forth, to best advantage, for a cause.

The female piece beside it drew applause

for such unselfish dedication to

a sex that isn’t mine, revealed how true

my understanding of predicaments

like theirs, the championing and keen defence

of rights too long denied. A cripple served

me best as centrepiece. It was observed

how delicate my sensitivity  -

indeed, some branded it my ‘love’  - can be.

Regrettable all that – you know he died?  -

but the response I made’s my perfect pride.

Let’s pass beyond the Palestinian suite

to where an inspiration had me treat

the homosexual crew  - a chive crostini?  -

the subjects purged from Navy posts so meanly

provided my sad theme. My future plans? -

the gender freaks excite me and the bans

they’ve placed on their shenanigans – a vein

that’s ripe for exploitation. I remain

alert to all the goldmines and rely  

on those especially that might supply

injustices that I can care about.

When is your tribute programme coming out?

No comments :

Post a Comment