Saturday 25 November 2017

The Object of my Love - NER September 2019

         Madam, whom to ‘objectify’
                   Is modern sin,
I can't, yet, help, faced with your feminine,
But view your form, your nape, your hair and thigh,
         As beauty’s definition; wired
         In me, a deep imperative,
To seek this lovely difference, desired,
Despite my will, (though hoping you forgive).
May be, while we are other, we’re the same,
   Sharing the human species and its aim?

      To super-add the person, who
               Is who you are,
To your rare person, to increase so far
The pleasure of my conference with you.
       To bestially efface her, I’d
       Refuse the double privilege
Of human being, seeking to divide
Your nature and deny our lineage.
When you require my love to touch your skin,
You have me touch intelligence within.

    So since, sweet love, imponderable
                For us, that we
       Cleave indivisible duality,
(And flesh a lens for better mutual
Knowing beyond our eyes) let’s use
Our differing forms in Love’s extreme
   Articulation, bringing with it new   
Endearment, causing even life to teem;
Obedient, let's consent to kiss and play,
    Agreed rejoicing is the proper way.

https://www.newenglishreview.org/custpage.cfm?frm=189826&sec_id=189826


No comments :

Post a Comment